• Effective problem-solving • Creative thinking
• Self-motivation • Organizational skills
• Communication skills • Marketing skills • Financial skills
• Passion and dedication to the community
Classification: Part-time, hourly
Reports to: Executive Director
Work Schedule: Market days, Tuesdays May-September; Bunch Markets, one Sunday a month, January – April. Non-market work schedule may be flexible. Some evening work may be required.
Work locations / conditions: Work at the market location and in your home office. Most work hours are outdoors in all weather conditions.
The Greer Farmers’ Market is a nonprofit organization delivering fresh, high-quality foods and locally made goods to consumers. We operate one small seasonal farmers market that provides customers with a direct connection to more than 30 vendors with deep roots in Greer, South Carolina and surrounding cities and counties. These vendors include farms, nurseries, bakeries, meat and seafood providers, cheese makers, specialty food producers, and other local makers. We support local growers, promote activity in the downtown, and help build a more sustainable community. The Greer Farmers’ Market desire is to create a sustainable community through education, support of local food, and sustainable living practices.
This is a part-time position starting at 15 hours per week with an hourly pay of $15 per hour.
The Greer Farmers’ Market Operations Manager oversees the logistical and operational work required to run effective farmers’ markets. The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall execution of markets, including all pre-and post-market duties, market layout, communications with vendors, ensuring all market needs and supplies are met, and preparing, collecting, and reconciling all administrative documents. The Operations Manager provides support for building and maintaining the financial success of the markets, including working with the Board of Advisors and the Executive Director in fundraising, maintaining vendor relationships, and bringing in customers to the market through marketing efforts.. This is an outward-facing position that requires working every market day at the Greer Farmers’ Markets.
You will bring expertise and demonstrated capacity in:
- Experience managing or running a farmers’ market or similar program.
- Proven success overseeing a business or program, including the ability to expand and grow a program.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize, and coordinate projects and follow through to completion.
- Strong skills in MS Office, Google Suite, and other web-based and project management tools.
- Attentive to details and strong aptitude for organization and record keeping.
- Strong communication skills including written and oral.
- Ability to stay motivated and efficient in an outdoor work setting, in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to solve problems under pressure, manage conflict, be flexible, and multi-task.
- A positive attitude and the flexibility to operate in an environment with deadlines and changing demands.
- Committed to GFM’s mission and passionate about sustainable local food systems
- Manage vendor relationships and vendor recruitment
- Coordinate setup and tear-down of market
- Operate the SNAP program (if you get this at the market)
- Answer customer/vendor questions
- Main contact for customers, vendors, volunteers, sponsors, media, etc. during market days
- Assist with the market’s special events
- Promote the market – setting up / removing signs, banners, or other market marketing materials on market days
- Coordinate vendor parking/setup to ensure in right space / follows set layout of market
- Staff and coordinate welcome/market tent
- Oversee collection and reconciliation of market day funds and other financial exchanges with vendors / customers
- Follow market emergency procedures during market days (accidents, medical emergencies, safety/crime issues, severe weather)
- Market day photography or gather other items needed for social media posts
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Greer Farmers’ Market provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
You love farmers’ markets and working outside. You’re a people person with a keen eye for logistics and record keeping. You have exceptional attention to detail, are self-motivated, and a creative thinker. You are an effective problem solver and work well under pressure. And you want to join an organization that has a passion and dedication to the community!
-Must be able to work in outside markets that operate rain or shine
-Should be able to lift ~50 lbs.
-Stand, walk, or sit for prolonged periods of time
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume with subject line “Operations Manager Application” to email@example.com